Menu

Our History

We forged our entrepreneurial spirit more than a century ago – refusing to accept the status quo. Rather than seeing the by-products created in our paper-making process as waste, we saw them as opportunities. Over time, we transformed by-products into special chemical solutions that help purify, protect and enhance our world.

( Select a year or drag the timeline to see more )

1846

Ellis, Chaflin & Co. is founded. Later becomes Mead Paper Company.

1888

Piedmont Pulp & Paper Co. founded. Later becomes Westvaco.

1900s

Carbon production begins in Tyrone, Pennsylvania.

1934

Tall oil distillation begins in Covington, Virginia.

1954

Pine chemicals production moves to Charleston, South Carolina.

1964

Formal incorporation of SCD businesses.

1977

The DeRidder, Louisiana plant opens.

1984

St. Johns Chemical is added to the operations base.

1995

Commercial Applications Center opens in Shanghai, China.

1997

The Wickliffe, Kentucky carbon plant is added to the operations base.

2002

Mead & Westvaco merge to form MeadWestvaco. Purification Cellutions (Waynesboro, GA carbon honeycomb plant).

2008

Rebranded as MWV in 2008.

2011

Purification Materials Wujiang, (PMW) China carbon plant is added to the operations base.

2012

MWV Brazil added to the operations base. DRT Alliance formed.

2015

MWV Merges with RockTenn becoming WestRock; MWV Specialty Chemicals becomes Ingevity.

2016

Ingevity begins operations as a standalone, publicly traded company (NGVT).

2018

March: Ingevity acquires Georgia-Pacific's pine chemicals business.

2018

December: Ingevity begins production at new extrusion plant in Changshu.

2019

Ingevity comples acquisition of Capa® caprolactone business.

Fact Sheets

Last Updated Feb 25, 2020

Corporate Fact Sheet

Contact Info

Laura Woodcock

Manager, Public Relations
media@ingevity.com